Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

The Life You Imagine By Derek Jeter and Jack Curry. Scholastic Books, 2000. Genre: Autobiography
This autobiography is about Derek Jeter's life from childhood to young adulthood. Derek was always a determined, talented athlete who was respected by his fellow students and his teachers. He was raised by biracial parents who had strict rules that kept him in line, but also kept them very close. Derek has a sister named Sharlee. Sharlee was four years younger and Derek was always trying to set good examples for her to follow. Derek overcomes many obstacles such as dealing with racial slurs but he also is always trying to improve in baseball.
"This year's most valuable player on the All-Star team and a shortstop for the New York Yankees, Jeter would seem to have the perfect life. His skills on the field are stellar, and he's already been compared to some of baseball's most legendary players. Teammates and fans respect and adore him. In this affable volume, Jeter, who says he hopes he can set a good example for young people, shares some of his personal history as he outlines the 10 principles that led to his success," Says Publishers Weekly.
Jack Curry explains Derek's life in very specific detail and uses important descriptions in his writing that motivates the reader by making Derek a role model. This book was written to give the reader life lessons and advice that anyone can relate to for achieving their dreams.
This book reminds me of The Contender because both Derek and Alfred are determined to reach their goals and become successful. Derek wants to become a professional baseball player for the New York Yankees and Alfred wants to become a contender in boxing.
"I'd usually get up a couple hours later and drag my grandmother out of bed and force her to play baseball with me. I didn't care how early it was and neither did she."(Page 72)
I really enjoyed this book because it was about Derek Jeter who has always been a huge fan of mine on my favorite baseball team, the New York Yankees, ever since I was little. I could relate everything that he was talking about to my life and the goals I want to set. I have even been to Yankee stadium to watch him play. I understood everything that he was talking about when he spoke about baseball , such as his batting average because it is my favorite sport.

No comments: